Monday, January 26, 2009

Walking on a Thin (Mint) Line

It's that time of year again when workplaces turn into a din of Daisy Go Rounds and we Do Si Dos a delicate dance called "Buy My Child's Cookies" - no pressure.
First off... I think Girl Scouts is a great organization and proceeds from the Girl Scout Cookie Program supports programs for girls and training for volunteers across the area. But really... I just LOVE the cookies.
A box of Thin Mints in the freezer chased with a glass of milk = heaven.
But the overwhelming guilt brought on by the den mothers/fathers of the G.S.'s takes the pleasure out of it. Example: Parent #1 approaches and gives you the standard, "Hey my daughter is selling Girl Scout Cookies! Are you interested?"
Uh... yeah. Of Course I am!
But then how do I tell parents two through 14 that I already favored parent 1's child over theirs?
PLUS in the back of my head I fear I'm somehow responsible if she comes up one Lemon Chalet box short on the cookie selling badge. Thus leading to a life of Creme... er... crime.
And people wonder why my freezer is stocked like a dorm fridge after parent's weekend this time every year. I can't say no to those precious, desperate little faces.... or their kids.
But maybe I don't have to.
I inquired about the cookie-selling policy in our office and found out the station had adopted an unofficial/official stance on the out-and-out shilling of Samoas and Shortbreads. I believe parents can have the order forms at their desks but cannot openly solicit the peanut buttery goodness of Tagalongs to anyone unless approached first.
Ahhhh... the pressure's off... let the dunking begin!
P.S.
The Peanut Butter Sandwich (a.k.a. Do Si Dos) is salmonella safe.
Whew!
Until Next Time...
J.J.

No comments:

Post a Comment